Do dried herbs and spices ever go bad? While your herbs and spices aren’t likely to grow mold, they will, over time, inevitably lose their potency. The “shelf life” can vary from herb to herb. In this regard, the herb, Kratom, is no different. In this article, you’ll learn about Kratom’s shelf life and what you can do to extend or preserve your Kratom.
What is Kratom?
Kratom is a unique herb from an evergreen tree native to the rainforests of Southeast Asia. For centuries, Kratom has provided medicinal uses in Southeast Asia. It comes from the mitragyna speciosa tree, a tree genetically linked to the coffee plant. Kratom trees can grow to heights of 40 feet. The tree has enormous leaves, and the underside of these leaves has veins enriched with alkaloids generated by the tree. The leaves of this tree have long been used as a natural remedy and as a stimulant by laborers throughout that region. Kratom comes in many forms: raw leaves, extracts, powders, and capsules.
What is the shelf life of Kratom?
First, what exactly is “shelf life”? The term “shelf life” differs slightly from an “expiration date.” Shelf life generally relates to a product’s quality over a specified period. In contrast, the expiration date relates to the quality and safety of a medication at a specific time. Kratom is a biological matter; therefore, no matter what you do, it will inevitably break down. The alkaloids in the Kratom leaves provide the desired effects. Those alkaloids will be the most potent while on the tree. The alkaloids begin their natural process of breaking down as soon as the leaves get removed from the tree.
Modern harvesting techniques and advanced techniques in transport and packaging by good vendors have helped extend the shelf life of Kratom from just a few weeks centuries ago to several months. Generally, once you open your product, Kratoms’s shelf life is from one to three months. Of course, your product will still be safe to consume, but like spices in your cupboard, the potency in terms of color, taste and its intended effect will diminish.
What can I do to preserve my Kratom?
Like with any herb, spice or food, for that matter, the way you handle and store your Kratom product will either extend the life of the product or diminish it. At Kratom, all products are of the highest quality, shipped fresh, direct from Indonesian Farmers. This factor is vital if you consider buying from cheap, lesser-known competitors. Your product stays fresh, packaged in airtight, stay-fresh packaging that is either zipper-resealable for freshness or capped in pressure-sensitive seal liners to provide extra freshness protection.
Now, with the product in your hands, there are many things you can do to extend the shelf life. By doing so, you can keep your product in optimal condition for many months.
- Sunlight: Avoid direct sunlight because Kratom is sensitive and loses efficacy when exposed to infrared rays.
- Oxygen: Oxidation shortens the lifespan of any herb, so try to avoid it by keeping packaging and containers sealed tightly.
- Dampness and Moisture: Never freeze your Kratom, as this will expose it to moisture, promoting mold growth.
- Usage: If you’ve bought several products, only open what you’ll use and store the rest in a dry and cool location (your pantry, your refrigerator). When measuring your product, use dry scoops and a clean area.
- Storage: Kratom prefers dry and cool locations. If you remove your Kratom from its original packaging, store it in glass jars with tight lids. Mark your product with the original expiration date. Vacuum sealing is optimal.
- Ordering: When reordering, order what you feel you can consume within three to five months.